The initial interview is the first opportunity for you and an employer to learn about each other and for you to demonstrate your strategic thinking and communication abilities, academic knowledge and practical experience. Successful Job Interview Getting the second or third interview depends upon your convincing the prospective employer that you are a good match for the company and position. The Weston Career Center offers several options for you to improve your interviewing skills:
- Practice interview with a career advisor
- Mock Interview Day with business guest
- Interview Lab to record, replay and critique practice interview on HDTV – and hone your self-presentation skills
- Interview Questions Guide
- Functional and Technical Question Supplements
- Olin Interview Wiki - The Olin Interview Wiki is an online data bank of actual interview questions organized by companies. It is updated in real time by student users within Olin Business School who are interviewing for positions. You must create a password-protected account for access.
- Interview Prep module – The Interview Prep module of Optimal Resume makes it easy to refine your interviewing skills anywhere, at any time. You control all aspects of your interview practice session, including the number of questions, the type of questions, your response format and the interviewer.
Receiving a call for a second-round interview is an indication that you’ve made a strong impression and the company sees potential for you joining the organization. It differs from the first interview in that it may occur at the place of business or outside of the work place, typically over a meal.
You can prepare the same way you would for your first round –just think more deeply about what you would do if hired. Be prepared to provide the best answers with confidence and, when asked, ask a few questions that are genuinely important to you.
The second-round interview can also be a panel-style interview that provides an opportunity for you and a group of individuals from the company to get to know one another better.
Make an Appointment
Career advisors can assist you in improving your interviewing techniques, preparation and follow up. Call 314-935-5950 or stop by the WCC, Simon 10, to schedule an advising appointment or practice interview.
Management Communication Lab
The Olin Management Communication Lab consultants help you fine-tune your job search communication skills and expand your ability to craft succinct, precise communications. You develop strategies through coaching, rehearsals and web-based information and critique sessions. The Management Communication Lab is located in Simon Hall, 118C.