A practice interview is an emulation of an interview used for coaching and training purposes and is considered one of the best ways to prepare for an employment interview.
Studies show that filming and reviewing practice interviews can relieve fears and help job candidates become more confident.
Preparation Suggestions for Your Live Practice Interview
It is important that you properly prepare for your practice interview with a career advisor, mock interview with a business guest or session in the Management Communication Lab so that you can receive constructive feedback on how you can improve.
- Attend an “effective interviewing” workshop.
- Read the Interviewing section of the Career Guide.
- Learn the best strategies for interviewing and practice your skills with Big Interview.
- Practice answering typical interview questions.
- Practice with a friend or practice alone in front of a mirror.
- Use the Interview Rubric as a preparation tool.
- Bring a copy of your résumé for the “interviewer” to use.
- Casual clothing is fine for your practice interview with a career advisor, but we encourage you to wear professional business attire if you would like feedback on your clothes. Remember, professional attire is required for all “mock interviews with business guests” and the “real” interview.
To meet with a career coach, schedule an appointment online, email email@example.com, call 314-935-5950, or stop by the WCC in Knight Hall 210.